Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Family's Attempt at Eating Healthy

Ok, so my dad LOVES red meat. I don't. I try to get him to make chicken and turkey as often as possible instead of beef. Over the years we've just eaten so much beef that I'm sick and tired of it.
Tonight we had grilled turkey burgers, with salad, and grilled peaches. The peaches didn't turn out good. They weren't sweet. But living in a place where there aren't many local peach trees, you kind of have to deal with what's available at the store. The turkey burgers were good, but they were so thin that they were pretty dry by the time they were ready to be eaten. Although, on a whole wheat bun with cheese and spinach leaves, not too bad. I just wish the peaches had turned out. I will have to figure out how to really make them.

I love to eat healthy. Especially during the summer. Everything outside is so pretty and green that it just makes eating frozen and boxed stuff seem, well, wrong. It's hot out so I don't want to be eating something baked or made on the stove. And I want to use the fresh produce that's in stores to my advantage. I love spinach so that's one of my favorite summer greens. And grilled chicken is sooo much better than fried or baked. It's just lighter. Whenever I eat something that I know is healthy it just makes me feel happier and cleaner for some reason. I'm thinking it's because unlike most foods that are always so readily available, fresh foods aren't covered in grease. I think everyone should take advantage of what you can find in your local markets. And remember to eat fruit when it's in season. Yeah certain fruit is always available at the store, but it just tastes so much better when it's the right season.

I really wish schools would start serving healthier meals. What they serve now is just disgusting. Their burgers are all pressed and old (last time I checked, beef isn't supposed to be yellow) and the "healthier options" are tasteless and sparse. I don't want to sound like a total health nut, because I am totally not one, but what gets put into most packaged foods is just disgusting. All of these color dyes and chemicals. It isn't good for us. And how can schools tell us to be healthy when what they serve to us is worse than a lot of fast food chains? The least they could do is start to give us more options in the fruit and salad bars. Currently many states are going through "Education Reforms" and the one thing that seems to be forgotten about amidst all of the "Oh we'll save money by doing this!" is what food schools serve.
My school's lunch program has become so crappy this last year that I'm seriously considering taking lunches from home. It gives me more control over what I eat.

So I hope that everyone enjoys their summer, and remembers to enjoy what their local markets have to offer! Because trust me, there is a LOT, and it tastes amazing!

Doesn't this look amazing???

No comments:

Post a Comment